Scarborough Amateur Radio Club Inc. General Meeting

The meeting was held at the Don Montgomery Community Recreation Centre
in the Seniors’ lounge on September 8, 2008.

Bernadine VE3YDB called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM.

As usual, the Treasurer’s report binder is available at the front of the room
for anyone who is interested.

Field Day followup:

Field Day was a success, with 7 stations on the air and about 25 participants.
Rod VE3SOY, our Field Day Coordinator, submitted the results electronically and
ARRL has confirmed receipt (see
http://www.arrl.org/contests/claimed/repLxyUcB.html). Full results will be
available in November issue of QST.

Bob VE3IEL mentioned that 10 m was open most of the time which was something of
a surprise considering it’s been quiet for a while. He says the team operating
on 20 m (VE3IEL, VE3OTA, VE3BTR) probably could have done better with more
contest experience, as they never called CQ once. Bob suggested that the club
should have more in-house contests for club members to develop contesting

Rudie VE3OUA and Hugh VE3HAG very much enjoyed the food and drink and expressed
thanks to Bernadine for providing much of it.

Nick VE3EBC said Amy made many contacts and is well on her way to getting her

Meeting room:

Thanks to Bernadine’s efforts we are back at the Don Montgomery Community
Recreation Centre for another term. We are looking into possible locations for
code and theory classes, as our existing meeting room is only available once a
month and this will not allow enough time to cover all the material. It would
be ideal to find a place where we could set up a station. Bob is checking with
Centennial College which at one time had a station and still has a beam
antenna. Other locations under consideration: CNE, Ontario Science Centre,
Scarborough Civic Centre.

Program planning:

Bernadine suggests getting more member input by having open nights once a month
and putting members in charge of the content, whether that be arranging for a
speaker or presenting a topic of interest. This led to a discussion about how
the club should plan its activities. Nick commented that he made a
presentation last spring and only about five people bothered to show up. Gord
VE3CNA said a committee could be more effective at making programming
decisions, and that more advance notice of planned activities was necessary.
Bob suggested putting together a list of speakers. Gord asked whether there had
been any activity towards setting up a President’s Council with other local
clubs as a means of exchanging information about possible activities and
prospective speakers; so far there haven’t been any such discussions.


Thursday night 10 m net has been very quiet with only a few check-ins. Bob
suggested changing this to an EchoLink net to allow members without HF
equipment to participate. The Tuesday night 2 m net on VE3RPT has been doing
reasonably well despite QRM. Toronto FM Communications Society, which owns
VE3RPT, has been actively following up on this. Bob recommends that we stay
with VE3RPT for now, but if QRM becomes too much of a problem we could switch
to VE3TOR as an alternate. The disadvantage of doing so is that VE3TOR requires
a PL tone and has a short timeout.

Discussion re EchoLink net:

– how to set it up
Install software and register call sign. Communication between individuals is
straightforward but setting up a conference is a bit more complicated. If we
want to use VE3WE, we need to involve Earle who is the holder of the club call
(Bob to follow up)

– computer software and hardware requirements
Official EchoLink site has software for Windows but third-party Mac and Linux
clients are also available

Raffle (prizes donated by Lambert VE3LYP)

Len – pen holder/digital clock
Bernadine – monitor/power adapter (given to Nick for Amy to send to the Philippines)

Discussion about EchoLink continued after the break. Ray and Bob will put
something together for upcoming issue of Wavelength.

Audrey moved to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 9:10 PM.

Participate – Learn – Enjoy